Counselor Positions (Full-time) 35-40 hrs per week (Part-Time 20 hours per week)
Internships are available! Please contact Alma Aguirre, BS at email@example.com to find out more information.
The University of Arizona Health Sciences - Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion is seeking highly motivated and responsible individuals to serve as in-residence counselors for the Med-Start Health Careers Program. Counselors will be hired to begin training a week before the program begins. Employment dates: May 31- July 17, 2021. It is expected for Counselors to commit to the entire seven weeks of the program. Family/personal vacations are highly discouraged during the seven weeks of employment. Availability and flexibility during the scheduled work is encouraged.
ABOUT the Med-Start Health Careers Program
Med-Start is an intensive SIX-week academic summer program held in Tucson for JUNIOR high school students who are interested in careers in the health professions. The purpose of the program is to help students prepare for college life and orient students toward career opportunities and educational pathways in the health professions. Med-Start counselors are central to the operation of the program. Counselors supervise students, plan and implement numerous program activities, and serve as role models for these future college students. Med-Start participants come from all over the state and are, for the most part, 16-18 years old. At the time of the program, they will be entering their senior year of high school. Med-Start encourages students who are of underrepresented and/or diverse backgrounds, live in rural areas, and/or are economically disadvantaged to apply. Thus, Med-Starters are a diverse group of students who share common interests and curiosity about health professions and the college experience.
JOB TITLES: Full-time Counselors for the Med-Start Health Careers Program (positions are subject to a background check, fingerprint investigation, and motor vehicle check).
DEPARTMENT: University of Arizona Health Sciences - Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
DESCRIPTION: Primarily responsible for a group of approximately 50 high school students. Counselors also work as part of a team of 6-8 counselors aiding in the operation of the entire program.
DATE OF EMPLOYMENT: May 31- July 17, 2021 (Counselor - Full Time and part time positions are available)
EXAMPLES OF TYPICAL DUTIES:
- Tutor/Monitor academic progress of assigned students (students take college-level courses during UA summer session)
- Mentor students to promote success in university life and within the health sciences
- Supervise field trips and other program activities
- Supervise residence hall activities
- Assist in scheduling guest speakers, presentations, etc.
- Assist in program-related office tasks in the Office of Diversity and Inclusion
COUNSELORS MUST LIVE IN RESIDENCE HALL (Room and board will be provided during 7 weeks of the program)
- Must be a continuing student at UofA
- Available to live in residence hall during the entire summer program
- Able to relate to students from diverse backgrounds
- Current driver’s license and a good driving record (must have 3+ years of driving experience)
- Students in health-related concentrations
- Students with previous R.A. or summer counselor experience, or past Med-Start participants
- CPR and/or First Aid Certified
- UA-HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) Driver Certification
TRAINING: Counselors will be required to attend training sessions prior to the Med-Start Health Careers Program. Training sessions will be scheduled one week prior to the start of the summer program.
SHIFT: Shifts vary. Monday – Sunday
RATE OF PAY: $12.15 per/hr + room & board
HOW TO APPLY: Email the program coordinator, Alma Aguirre, at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.
DEADLINE: February 1, 2021, at 5:00 PM.
For more information regarding employment, please visit the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion or contact our office: Tucson: (520) 621-5531.
The Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion is an EEO/AA Employer.