Welcome to Med-Start Health Careers Program - Tucson
2019 Med-Start Application is now CLOSED! Please be on the look out for 2020 Med-Start Application application on Oct. 1, 2019.
Program Dates: June 2 to July 13, 2019 (six weeks)
ONLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED! Notice of acceptance by early April 2019
The Med-Start Health Careers Program is a summer academic enrichment program for any 11th grade Arizona high school student interested in pursuing a career in the health sciences. Students participate in the program during the summer between their junior and senior years.
Med-Start, sponsored by the University of Arizona Health Sciences-Office of Diversity and Inclusion and Arizona-Area Health Education Centers, created in 1969 to help improve healthcare in rural, reservation, and economically disadvantaged areas through the recruitment and training of students from these regions. Med-Start helps young people prepare for their future in the health professions by exploring career opportunities and providing college-level coursework in English and science.
The Med-Start program is a collaborative effort between the UA College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, College of Nursing and College of Public Health and other departments at The University of Arizona. Collaborative agencies supporting the program include: the Arizona Area Health Education Centers, the Inter-tribal Council of Arizona and other Arizona educational and healthcare organizations.
- College-level English course (elective college credit)
- Introduction to Chemistry Lab (college credit)
- Hands-on presentations and demonstrations
- Special lectures on health careers
- Live on the University of Arizona campus
- Tours of healthcare and research facilities
- High school students who have completed their junior year and have a strong interest in a healthcare profession.
- All students must be US citizens or permanent residents, and one-year Arizona residents.
- Med-Start welcomes applications from all students. Because they are underrepresented in the healthcare professions, students who are of ethnic minority backgrounds (Hispanic, Native American, African American), are first-generation college, and/or are economically disadvantaged, are especially encouraged to apply.
The Med-Start Tucson program is a residential program. All participants will be required to reside in a University of Arizona residence hall through the duration of the program under the supervision of Counselors and Staff. Participants must attend ALL presentations, tours and required classes.
The University of Arizona is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The University prohibits discrimination in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and is committed to maintaining an environment free from sexual harassment and retaliation.
Please complete the supplemental forms below:
*To complete these forms, please download them onto your computer and fill them out using Adobe Acrobat.
Summer Employment Opportunities
Interested in applying for counselor (full-time or part-time) positions?
This website is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), under grant number D18HP32129 Health Careers Opportunity Program, as part of an award totaling $3,199,800 with 100 percent financed with non-governmental sources. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS, or the U.S. Government. For more information, please visit HRSA.gov.