HEALTH CAREERS PROGRAM (VIRTUAL for Summer 2021)
Apply HERE (application available)
Must submit completed supplemental forms included below:
*To complete these forms, please download them onto your computer and fill them out using Adobe Acrobat.
ONLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WILL BE REVIEWED
The Med-Start Health Careers Program is a six-week summer academic enrichment program for 10th, 11th and 12th grade Arizona high school students interested in pursuing a career in the health sciences. High School students participate in the program during the summer (Beginning of June-Mid July) after completing their sophmore, junior and senior years.
Med-Start was created in 1969 by Dr. Merlin K. "Monte" DuVal, MD to introduce students the importance of healthcare in rural, reservation, and economically disadvantaged areas through the recruitment and training of students from these regions. Med-Start in collaboration with the Arizona Area Health Education Centers (AZ-AHEC) introduces young people prepare for their future in the health professions by exploring career opportunities and providing college-level coursework in English and science and math. The students will gain opportunities to participate in professional lectures, health-related fieldtrips, and hands-on lab experiences and live on campus.
The Med-Start program sponsored by the University of Arizona Health Sciences-Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in partnership with Arizona-Area Health Education Centers is a collaborative effort between the UA College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, College of Nursing and College of Public Health and other departments at The University of Arizona and other Arizona educational and healthcare organizations.
- College-level English course (elective college credit)
- Introduction to Chemistry Lab (college credit)
- Introduction to Math (college credit)
- Hands-on presentations and demonstrations
- Special lectures on health careers
- Live on the University of Arizona campus
- Tours of healthcare and research facilities
- High school students who have completed their junior year and have a strong interest in a healthcare profession.
- All students must be US citizens or permanent residents, and one-year Arizona residents
- Must have GPA of 3.0 or higher and complete the interview process.
- Med-Start welcomes applications from all students. Because they are underrepresented in the healthcare professions, students who are of ethnic minority backgrounds (Hispanic, Native American, African American), are first-generation college, and/or are economically disadvantaged, are especially encouraged to apply.
The Med-Start Tucson program is a residential program, HOWEVER for the summer of 2021 if will be fully VIRTUAL. All participants will be required to reside in a University of Arizona residence hall through the duration of the program under the supervision of Counselors and Staff. Participants must PARTICIPATE at ALL presentations, tours and required classes.
The University of Arizona is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The University prohibits discrimination in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and is committed to maintaining an environment free from sexual harassment and retaliation.
UA Student Summer Employment and Internship Opportunities