Welcome to Med-Start Health Careers Program - Tucson
2019 Med-Start Application is open from Oct. 15 through Feb. 1
Program Dates: June 2 to July 13, 2019 (six weeks)
ONLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED! Notice of acceptance by early April 2019
The Med-Start Health Careers Program is a summer academic enrichment program for any 11th grade Arizona high school student interested in pursuing a career in the health sciences. Students participate in the program during the summer between their junior and senior years.
Med-Start, sponsored by the University of Arizona Health Sciences-Office of Diversity and Inclusion and Arizona-Area Health Education Centers, created in 1969 to help improve healthcare in rural, reservation, and economically disadvantaged areas through the recruitment and training of students from these regions. Med-Start helps young people prepare for their future in the health professions by exploring career opportunities and providing college-level coursework in English and science.
The Med-Start program is a collaborative effort between the UA College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, College of Nursing and College of Public Health and other departments at The University of Arizona. Collaborative agencies supporting the program include: the Arizona Area Health Education Centers, the Inter-tribal Council of Arizona and other Arizona educational and healthcare organizations.
- College-level English course (elective college credit)
- Introduction to Chemistry Lab (college credit)
- Hands-on presentations and demonstrations
- Special lectures on health careers
- Live on the University of Arizona campus
- Tours of healthcare and research facilities
- High school students who have completed their junior year and have a strong interest in a healthcare profession.
- All students must be US citizens or permanent residents, and one-year Arizona residents.
- Med-Start welcomes applications from all students. Because they are underrepresented in the healthcare professions, students who are of ethnic minority backgrounds (Hispanic, Native American, African American), are first-generation college, and/or are economically disadvantaged, are especially encouraged to apply.
The Med-Start Tucson program is a residential program. All participants will be required to reside in a University of Arizona residence hall through the duration of the program under the supervision of Counselors and Staff. Participants must attend ALL presentations, tours and required classes.
The University of Arizona is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The University prohibits discrimination in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and is committed to maintaining an environment free from sexual harassment and retaliation.
Click here for tutorials on how to complete the online application.
Please complete the supplemental forms below: