Go to this Website:
Go to your Portfolio, look at the list of careers you chose. Pick the one that interests you most.
Cross reference your short list with information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Bureau of Labor Statistics website is the place to find answers to these “bottom line” questions about job outlook (is demand for people in this field predicted to increase, stay the same or decrease in the future) and pay. In addition to job outlook and pay, this website details what sort of training is required and the work environment for different sorts of jobs.
- In the upper right corner, type in one of the careers on your short list.
- From the summary, record in your portfolio:
- Entry Level Education
- Job Outlook (shows percentage growth or decline anticipated)
- 2010 Median Pay
- Click on “What they do.” Read this page. In your portfolio write down one thing under duties that you think you would enjoy doing.
- Click on “How to Become One.” Answer these questions in your portfolio:
- What sort of degree is required?
- How long does it take to get this degree?
- Read through the Important Qualities. List two of these qualities that you already have and/or you’d like to cultivate in yourself in the future.
- Click on “Pay.” Observe what people in this occupation make compared to the average pay for all workers. Write down the median annual wage for this profession again. You will have another task to complete using this number as a starting point!
- Click on Contacts for More Info, and then click on the link that appears. Browse the website of this organization. You may find something quite interesting, like this video about being a Physical Therapist! http://www.apta.org/YouCanBeMe