This activity gets to the nitty-gritty of who you are and who you want to be. Imagine yourself working in a particular field (as a nurse, doctor, physical therapist, whatever you think you might want to do). You’ve devoted yourself to this field for 40 years.
After a long, successful career it’s time for you to retire and relax. Your colleagues have planned a retirement party for you. All your years of service will be recognized and celebrated.
Someone close to you gives a speech at the party, talking about what you’ve accomplished and your impact on the people you’ve worked with and those you have served. What do they say?
In your Portfolio, write down at least 5 things that you hope to hear in this speech.
- What things will you be happy or proud of?
- What will be said about how you lived your life?
- What values did you convey through your actions and deeds?
- How did you use your talents, time and energy?
- What did you do for those you loved? What did you do for your community?
- What was most important to you?
- How did you treat others?
Read and think about what you have written. This is the “big picture.” Now you can begin to imagine your dream job.